Well what an amazing day Sunday the 20th of October was!  We were up early because we were the first race of the day.  I was also hoping that the day would be as nice as Saturday was with no wind and lovely sunshine.  But we woke to a temperature of 4 degrees and while at the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) Boat Shed as the sun was coming up so was the wind!

It was amazing to see the number of volunteers who were there to assist with boats.  Usually rowing clubs in Melbourne that I have been associated with have a hard time just getting rowers down to load and unload boats off the trailer.  But here at MIT we didn’t touch our boat until we were getting in it!

Pushing off for the raceWe were on the water at 7:30 am, boat number 4, so last in our category to start.  The USA National team rowing as “Old Glory” were allocated #1 and were definitely the favourites to win this event.  The other two boats between us and them were other USA crews, #2 made up of rowers from all over the country who hadn’t ever rowed with each other and #3 was all made up of fairly new rowers.  So we weren’t too worried about those crews other than trying to get past them safely and try to catch “Old Glory”.

Within the first kilometer we were past #2 and #3 boats.  Our coxswain Nell had a fabulous line throughout the race and got us through every bridge and around every corner in the shortest distance possible.  At one point she advised us that she could see “Old Glory” but wasn’t sure how far ahead they were.  From all accounts from friends who had watched the race on line the commentators were only talking about them…they were expected to win this race, after all they had come 4th at the World Championships just 2 months earlier!  As we came to the final bridge the call came from Nell to ‘push off the bridge’, to ‘give it everything we had’ as the finish line was only 500-600 metres ahead.  I don’t think that I have ever hurt so much!  But we all had that last burst of digging deep and you could actually feel the boat surge, we had come too far and worked too hard not to take this to the limit and past!  Finally the call came to “row easy” and nothing has ever felt so good but then the adrenaline stopped and I could feel the burning pain through my entire body!  But it was over and we had the chance to just row lightly for a couple of kilometers to work out the lactate acid and get the boat back to the CRI sheds.

After arriving at the sheds and still not knowing if we had won we were greated by more volunteers who then took care of the boat and even looked on line for us to see the final results.  WE HAD WON!!!!  Not only had we won but we had smashed “Old Glory” beating them by 53.26 seconds!  I am told that the commentators went very quiet at the end and were stunned by our victory.  We even ran into one of the rowers from “Old Glory” at the airport and her only words were “We were not expecting that!”

On the Podium

On the Podium


After the awards ceremony we headed back to our hotel where we all got together for a glass (or two!) of champagne and then headed down to dinner to celebrate with supporters and family we had come to watch.  We had a wonderful night which really was too short!

We had come to Boston as the underdogs but we had come away as the winners!  I had already made the decision that this was going to be my last international row and what a way to go out!  I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome.  It’s time to go home and just focus on my cycling but thank you to a wonderful crew Nell, Pete, Steve and Kate, coach Lindsay and managers Barbara and Anne for giving me some wonderful memories to keep with me forever!