Courage and fear go hand in hand. We all face fear, but finding the courage to reach for our goals come from within. Fulfillment and success doesn’t come from staying within your comfort zone. You have to use that fear to make an impact. At times we tend to doubt ourselves, but it is important to realise that this is a natural part of stepping out of our comfort zones. Use fear as your fuel to move forward and let the courage you find ensure success.
What is the root of your fear and how can you find the courage to confront it head on? Here are 6 steps to help you find your courage.
- Focus on the potential outcome of your situation; remember that the beginning of courage always feels like fear, but that courage will grow if you look toward your goal.
- Identify what is causing the fear; Fear can be your friend and the catalyst to finding courage. Work out whether it is real, relevant or perceived. Stop and ask yourself if this is something that you will worry about in a years’ time. Most of the time you will find that, no, it isn’t a reasonable fear and you will find the courage to move forward and take steps towards a positive outcome.
- Speak to others who have been there before you; Learn from them the pitfalls that they faced but how they got through and the courage they gained.
- Reframe your thoughts; make sure you are not sabotaging yourself before you start. Fill your mind with courageous thoughts and how good it will be when you have accomplished your goal.
- Make plans; Plan for obstacles that you might encounter ahead of time. When they put a road block in your way you will already know how to deal with them.
- Just do; instead of thinking about how to find the courage, just act instead of sitting around waiting for it to come to you. Once you do what you feared the most you will find it wasn’t that bad at all!
‘I learned that courage was not the absence of fear; but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear’ ~ Nelson Mandela