How many really good friends do you have in your life? I am one of the lucky ones that I actually need my two hands to count the number of true friends I have. Those friends who would stand by you no matter what and who accept you for who you are, not who they think you should be, warts and all!
So why is it important to have really good friends? Here are a few reasons:
- True friends improve the quality of our lives, through honest conversation, laughter, support, caring and bringing perspective to us.
- True friends will help push you when you need it. Not when you are beat and worn out but when you might think you are but they know you aren’t, so push you forward to accomplish what it is you need to accomplish.
- True friends are there to encourage you and to believe in you, when you may not believe in yourself.
- True friends are there for the all important emotional support. When things aren’t going so well, a true friend will always be by your side, even if they are thousands of kilometres away, with a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on.
- True friends will always be there to help you celebrate your successes. They always love a good party celebration!
- True friends teach us that any relationship is founded in friendship, be it with our partners, teammates or co-workers. Without friendship we would never learn trust, support or love.
- True friends will always be like a favourite jumper. No matter how long it has been since you’ve seen them, they are warm, inviting and always fit perfectly and it feels like you have never been separated.
- True friends will always love you no matter what you look like, dressed up ready for a glamourous night or in pyjamas with messy hair and no make-up. They have seen us in our best times and in our worst and they give us unconditional love.
Without true friends in my life my goals would be harder to attain and life would certainly be a lonely place. Lets embrace our friendships and never forget to be that one true friend to someone so you can share life’s wins and losses, your deepest secrets and dreams, your hard times and good times, your tears and laughter.
To my true friends (and you know who you are), my life wouldn’t be the same without you. You fill my life with meaning and add purpose to my life. Thank you for being a part of my life.
As Winnie the Pooh said “If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together… there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart… I’ll always be with you.”
That is what a ‘True Friend’ is.
Cover photo credit: Briana Tozour