Yesterday as I began my 3rd day of quarantine in a Melbourne hotel, I was looking through Instagram, trying to make time pass by and I came upon a quote from Ralph Marston “See your actions as being driven by your choices, not controlled by your needs.” Later in the day something else came up about the same thing and it made me realise that the universe was sending me some kind of message.
We all ‘need’ to do things each day, but it’s the choices we put around those needs that will define what we do, how we react and how successful we will be. Ralph talked about needing to get up at 6am but choosing to wake up 10 minutes earlier, or needing to keep your job, but choosing to build your career. Depending on how we look at things in life, this can decide our mindset on any given task. Do you want to be positive, enthusiastic and productive or do you want to just go through the mundane tasks that you need to do that day, procrastinating or being resentful?
I have often been asked how I can keep doing what I do (especially at my age!) and be so positive about it. It all comes down to what mindset you want to live with and this is how I look at my life:
- I choose not to let a number dictate what I can and can’t do.
- I choose to ride not only because I want to stay fit and healthy but because I love it and it is keeping me walking.
- I choose to get up in the early morning darkness of the day to ride with friends because it is my social outlet and I love it.
- I choose to find a positive even if I have failed as it only serves to make me more resilient and find a new way to succeed
- I choose to make the choices that are right for me and only me, which has enable me to become the person I am today.
Yes there are needs in life that are unavoidable and required, but we also have the choice as to how we want those needs to be attained. It really does come down to our own decisions.
I realised that these messages I was getting yesterday were telling me to look at my choices as to how I was going to get through 14 days of quarantine. I decided that I had to make the most of these days doing what I believe are the right choices for me. This will help make my days not drag by, help me be productive, positive and enthusiastic each minute of every day.
Over the next few days ask yourself…What do I need to be happy? What do I need in life to thrive? Then you choose how you will make those things happen. Only you have the power to do this.
“Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, make a different choice.” Anonymous