As we come to the end of another year I decided that I would just write down some lessons that I learnt in 2012. It’s not that I didn’t know these things in the past but they really came to the forefront this year.
- Stay true to your goals, even if others doubt you.
- Change is hard to do, but if you focus on the end goal it makes it all much easier.
- If you inspire one person along the way it’s a blessing.
- Goal setting is critical
- Success isn’t the medal, it’s knowing you have done the best that you can – the medal is the icing on the cake.
- World class begins when you think you’ve done a great job, but know you can do a better job.
- Problems come to test your commitment, use them as stepping stones to reach your goals, hopes and dreams.
- Avoid negative people.
- Make sure you tell those closest to you that you love them…every day!
- Take “I can’t”, “It’s not possible” and “It’s too hard” out of your vocabulary and add in “I can”, “Anything’s possible” and “This is awesome”.
- There is life after a devastating diagnosis with many possibilities, you just have to look for them.
- Don’t worry too much about falling, just be willing to get back up every time.
- Live in the moment – don’t worry about what did or didn’t happen yesterday – just get on with today.
And finally in the words that my friend and inspiration Warren Macdonald instilled in me a number of years ago
14. Dare to face your fears and believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything! (And oh how right he was!)
As I get closer to the new year I wonder what will challenge me in 2013. That is a question that we can never answer until those challenges are put in front of us, but I look forward to tackling them head on. I don’t believe in resolutions because they never work. If you want to change something or challenge yourself then don’t wait for a new year to begin, start today! I do have some goals for next year and I have started towards them already.
Some of my goals have to do with my cycling:
- To retain the #1 position in the world in my category
- To win the world championships
- To become a better rider tactically.
Other goals are personal:
- Attempt to put pen to paper and write a book
- More blogs for the upcoming year
- Build my brand
- To love and cherish my family and friends more than ever!
Have a wonderful and prosperous New Year, may all your dreams come true!
About the author : CarolC
I invite you to subscribe to my blog which provides snippets from my journey and my thoughts on overcoming adversity, what motivation and commitment can do for your life and how to achieve those dreams you've got tucked away.
Keep up with Carol
Receive occasional emails & news from Carol direct to your inbox.