As we come to the end of another year I decided that I would just write down some lessons that I learnt in 2012. It’s not that I didn’t know these things in the past but they really came to the forefront this year.
- Stay true to your goals, even if others doubt you.
- Change is hard to do, but if you focus on the end goal it makes it all much easier.
- If you inspire one person along the way it’s a blessing.
- Goal setting is critical
- Success isn’t the medal, it’s knowing you have done the best that you can – the medal is the icing on the cake.
- World class begins when you think you’ve done a great job, but know you can do a better job.
- Problems come to test your commitment, use them as stepping stones to reach your goals, hopes and dreams.
- Avoid negative people.
- Make sure you tell those closest to you that you love them…every day!
- Take “I can’t”, “It’s not possible” and “It’s too hard” out of your vocabulary and add in “I can”, “Anything’s possible” and “This is awesome”.
- There is life after a devastating diagnosis with many possibilities, you just have to look for them.
- Don’t worry too much about falling, just be willing to get back up every time.
- Live in the moment – don’t worry about what did or didn’t happen yesterday – just get on with today.
And finally in the words that my friend and inspiration Warren Macdonald instilled in me a number of years ago
14. Dare to face your fears and believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything! (And oh how right he was!)
As I get closer to the new year I wonder what will challenge me in 2013. That is a question that we can never answer until those challenges are put in front of us, but I look forward to tackling them head on. I don’t believe in resolutions because they never work. If you want to change something or challenge yourself then don’t wait for a new year to begin, start today! I do have some goals for next year and I have started towards them already.
Some of my goals have to do with my cycling:
- To retain the #1 position in the world in my category
- To win the world championships
- To become a better rider tactically.
Other goals are personal:
- Attempt to put pen to paper and write a book
- More blogs for the upcoming year
- Build my brand
- To love and cherish my family and friends more than ever!
Have a wonderful and prosperous New Year, may all your dreams come true!